Jazzing Up The Classroom

Flipping the classroom benefits many types of students, including ESL students. I created a TED-Ed Lesson on Louis Armstrong to be used in a flipped classroom. The lesson meets learning standards for English As A Second Language. Below are the learning standards for this lesson.

Standard - ESL.I.5-8.1: 
Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for information and understanding.
      Performance Indicator - ESL.I.5-8.1.1.1: 
      Students identify and use reading and listening strategies to make text comprehensible and
      meaningful.

  • This learning standard matches directly with the multiple choice questions on the TED-Ed lesson. The questions make the student listen for a specific answer. This is tested through the question itself.
Standard - ESL.I.5-8.2: 
Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for literary response, enjoyment, and expression.

     Performance Indicator - ESL.I.5-8.2.1.1: 
     Students read, listen to, view, write about, and discuss texts and performances from a wide range        of authors, subjects, and genres.
  • The learning objective is reached through the discussion portion of the lesson. The discussion portion has students listening for comprehension and writing a response to a question based on the video. This standard could also be tested through the student's response to the discussion question.
At the end of the unit, having a test in the same format would be a formal assessment of these standards. They would be able to practice the style of the test through "homework" in the flipped classroom and have reinforcements during class time.

If you would like to take a look at the TED-Ed lesson, you can check it out here.
If you would like more information on the learning standards, you can find them here. 

Comments

  1. I really learned a lot through this video and thought it would be good for a wide variety of lessons: music, cross-curricular Social Studies, ELA, and of course, ESL. So many good things can come from this one video. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging for All!

A learner is like a Tree

Blurred Lines (Between Education and Play)